Police have confirmed that a man in his 20s has been arrested under suspicion of rape and assault.
“Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” a statement from the club said on Sunday.
In an earlier statement, the Old Trafford side made it clear that they are aware of “images and allegations” that appeared on social media regarding the 20-year-old.
A spokesperson for United said that the club “does not condone violence of any kind”.
A statement from the Greater Manchester Police confirmed a man in his 20s had been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
“Greater Manchester Police were made aware earlier today of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence,” the statement read.
“An investigation was launched and following enquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning. Inquiries are ongoing.”
Images and allegations were reportedly visible on a woman’s Instagram on Sunday morning and were subsequently widely shared across other forms of social media.
They have, however, since been deleted.